Sunday, June 26, 2016

Easier Does Not Equal Ease

Icecream

I was driving home after a busy day and dithered over stopping at a sick friend's house for a short visit. It was a bit out of my way and there was ice cream melting in the back of the car, but I knew she'd appreciate it. I'm her friend. I the end, I asked myself which choice brought greater ease. I went straight on home.

There's a difference between ease and easier. It was certainly easier to drive straight home. But greater ease about the choice wasn't a measure of how difficult it was, but how my gut felt. I felt a gut clench at taking the detour and stopping at her place. So I went straight on home.

Whatever my choice, it needs to feel right. Balance is achieved by doing what feels right. When I feel unease, it is life pushing back. So I have to ask myself, "What do I feel?" or "What do I need?" or "What brings me feelings of ease right now?" Not my friends, or neighbours. Not an authority figure or my inner critic. Me. Life.

When I am drawn to something it is spirit drawing me to spirit, life drawing me to balance. When I feel a joyful urge to throw myself into the lake on a hot day, it is the lake and my connection to it that is calling. The urge doesn't come from only me and the lake, it comes from the interconnection. Me-Lake. I call spirit. Spirit is calling me to call spirit.

On that day with ice cream melting in the car, it was home that called me.



First published June 2014 in my free monthly email newsletter, Starry Night. Sign up here.